Home » F.A.Q.s » Traffic Bureau

Frequently Asked Questions - Traffic Bureau

Can payment of civil infractions be made with a personal check?

Yes. Your name, address, and telephone number needs to be hand printed or pre-printed by the bank on the check.

Can I obtain an affidavit to go to defensive driving school in Clay County if my ticket was issued in another county?

Yes. You can come to the Clay County Courthouse in Green Cove Springs or any branch office and obtain the affidavit. The charge for the affidavit is $4.00. You must bring a copy of the ticket with you.

Does going to defensive driving school keep the citation off my driving record?

No. The citation will show on your record, but will show an adjudication withheld. This means no points will be assessed.

How can I find out how many points I have on my driving record?

A copy of your driving record may be purchased at the main office and all branch locations of the Clerks' Office. The main office is located at 825 North Orange Avenue (Clay County Courthouse), Green Cove Springs. The hours of operation are from 8:30 - 4:30. The Orange Park Office is located at 1478 Park Avenue in Orange Park. The hours of operation are from 9:00-4:30 Monday through Friday and Saturday from 9:00 - 1:00. On Tuesdays the branch office in Middleburg at 1836 Blanding Blvd Suite D is open 9:00 to 4:30; On Wednesdays the branch office in Keystone Heights at 275 South Lawrence Blvd is open from 9:00 to 4:30.

The charge for a three (3) year record is $8.10 plus $6.00 for each additional page and a complete history is $9.10 plus $6.00 for each additional page.

How are points assessed in the State of Florida?

Per F.S. 322.27, When people accumulate too many points on their driving record in a set period of time, their driving privilege Is automatically suspended for a set period of time:

  • 12 points within 12 months - 30 days
  • 18 points within 18 months - 3 months
  • 24 points within 24 months - 1 year

What type of violations accumulate how many points?

  • Moving violations resulting in an accident - 4 to 6 points
  • Moving violations not resulting in an accident - 3 points
  • Speeding 15 mph or less - 3 points
  • Speeding over 15 mph - 4 points
  • Non-moving violations do not accumulate points.

How long do points remain against my driving record?

Points can stay on your record and are counted against you for 3 years.

Can I elect to attend defensive driving school after I have paid my citation?

No. Once you pay for your citation, you have made your one election for that violation. If you wish to attend school, you should inform the cashier at the time you pay.

Does attending defensive driving school keep my insurance rates down?

It is up to the individual insurance company as to whether going to school will keep your rates down. It is best to contact your insurance company if you are unsure.

Can Clay County accept payment for citations issued in other Counties?

No. Clay County can only accept payments on citations issued within Clay County.